I was discussing this past year with a friend the other day. I said 2008 “sucked pretty hard”. Truth of the matter is only a portion of it– the middle part–was B.A.D. bad. There was some loveliness at the beginning and at the end. I actually have some super, duper incredibly pants-wetting exciting news I hope to share soon that makes up for a lot of the bullshit this year brought but you are going to have to wait on that.
In retrospect, I realize this is the year I finally grew up. Now don’t go expecting me to wear turtlenecks and sensible shoes, but somewhere around July something clicked. I stopped holding my hand to open flames, I started watching out for myself a little more, and I managed to take some responsibility for some spectacularly huge fuck ups. 2008 is the year I stopped seeking comfort in chaos and validation at the expense of my own self worth. I began demanding a little more for me from myself and from others. There were a few setbacks, but I never said I wasn’t a work in progress.
This is not to say there was not some fun because, Jesus Christ in a Miniskirt, there was some fun. Lord knows there is never a dull moment up in here. I don’t expect the good times to come to a halt in 2009; my eyes will always glint with a shimmer of trouble, my laugh will remain forever loud, and my glass will remain full of Jack Daniel’s and guarded, secret optimism. I cannot imagine life any other way.
How to wrap up a random year? Why, a random post of course. Here are some things–food related, life related, blog related, Lemmonex related–that remind me of 2008. Behold, a hodgepodge of the year that was:
- Times I used the word vagina on this blog: 4
- Times I have managed to say it on a first date: every time
- Post/Recipe people mention to me the most: “Trailer Trash” /Jello Poke Cake
- Time I have considered quitting the blog: 5
- Favorite search terms that brought people here: “Stripper ass” “show me your tits” “Roissy Harem DC” “jew lover lemmonex”
- Besides Lemmonex and Culinary Couture top search term to get people here: HUGE
- Steadfast Enemy: the 7 pounds I continually gain and lose
- Favorite Moment of the Year: When MamaBear almost incited a political riot
- Number of flirty emails and online dating profiles I have crafted for various friends because of supposed “mad skillz” in this area: I lost count at 30
- Number of boyfriends I have or amount of helpful advice I can actually provide: 0
- Number of times I almost burnt down my kitchen: 1
- Favorite trend here at Culinary Couture: the haikus, hands down
- Most Popular Posts: Your Food Goddess, A Letter to My Body, Little Black Dress, Go Big or Go Home, and Come on Baby, Let Me Show You My Tattoo
- Top Songs on My iPod: Drive by the Cars, Beautiful Child by Rufus Wainwright, No Myth by Michael Penn, Stop Me by Mark Ronson, and Paul McCartney by the Scissor Sisters
- Biggest Culinary Screw Up of the Year: Mussels in Wine and Herbs
- Favorite New Restaurant (for me): Central
- Friends and strangers I have come to adore through blogging: countless
I really have no idea what 2009 will bring; I certainly didn’t expect anything that happened this year. Resolutions aren’t really my style so I won’t sit here and make empty promises. I will merely say thanks for coming along for the ride. It’s been a crazy one and I have loved having you all as passengers on my bus to the Hell.
See you Monday with more recipes, more restaurant reviews, and more of the same. Happy New Year’s, y’all.